Last month, we brought you a recipe from Elizabeth that was a curry broccoli chickpea salad. Today, we are continuing the theme of chickpea salad, but instead of in a bowl, this is going onto a sandwich. When you’re reading the recipe it may seem like a tuna salad sandwich and it should but it’s been altered for a vegetarian or vegan diet. If you are not following a plant-based diet, but want to incorporate more plant-based options in your meal planning, this is the recipe for you.
Recipe: Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Serves: 4-6 Servings
- (2) 15 oz cans of chickpeas or 3 cups cooked (drained/rinsed)
- (2) stalks of celery diced
- (1) cup carrots diced or shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Bread of choice (see note)
- In a medium bowl mash the drained chickpeas or put in a food processor/high speed blender and pulse a few times until you get the right consistency.
- Pour into medium bowl if using a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Options to serve it on: toasted bread, pita bread, wrap, lettuce leaves, etc.
Note: The aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas) can be used as an egg substitute in baked goods so I usually save mine and use it for baking.