According to Merriam-Webster the definition of cookie is a small flat or slightly raised cake. Using this as a definition for these easy and delicious oatmeal raisin cookies would be a travesty. As an athlete, you are spending hours running, swimming and cycling and you are following a nutrition plan as well but that doesn’t mean that you don’t want to indulge every now and again. These oatmeal raisin cookies are not just delicious but can be made with items that are sitting in your pantry and cupboards.
My recommendation: bake these the night before a long training day and then when you’re done and have refueled…….treat yourself!
Easy and Delicious Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 12-16 cookies
- 1/2 Cup butter (1 stick), softened (If Vegan, alternatively you can use Vegan butter. Stick butter works best like Earth Balance or Miyokos)
- 3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1 1/2 Cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 oz raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, until creamy.
- Add in flour, oats, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Add water and oil and mix together.
- Fold in raisins with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. I usually do about 2 tablespoons per cookie and put 12 cookies on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Training for an endurance sports event can be hard on the body and mind, but cooking and baking don’t have to be. I hope you enjoy these easy and delicious oatmeal raisin cookies as much as my family does!
For other recipes and nutrition tips, please visit our nutrition page by clicking HERE.