Benefitting Many Local Charities
Fit & Able invites you to be part of the Charity Distance Festival to support many area nonprofits that serve our community.
Nonprofits provide important programs and services to our community for the needs not met by the government or other organizations. Unfortunately, they can't all have their own races to help raise support for their missions. That's why Fit & Able is staging the Charity Distance Festival at no charge to the participating nonprofits to help them raise much needed revenue and provide them the opportunity to raise awareness about their efforts too.
Participating Nonprofits Include:
- Wade Edwards Learning Lab
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina
So, pick your distance – Fun Run, 5K, or 8K – then invite your friends and family to race with you! All 5K and 8K runners (live and virtual) will get a Charity Distance Festival medal.
Virtual Runners: Wherever you are – near or far – you can participate in a great race to support an amazing organization. All you need to do is run wherever you want and submit your times online! It's really fun and super easy! Since there isn't a race day packet pickup you have the option for packets be shipped or retrieved at a curbside pickup. Each packet can hold up to 2 shirts AND 2 medals. All packets will be mailed out after the event.
Scroll down for more details about how you can win great prizes and swag by referring people to sign up with you!
Invite your friends and family to run together!
The Charity Distance Festival is part of Fit & Able's Free-for-All Race Series.
* * * Due to the constantly evolving situation due to Covid-19 any specific changes to event operations for protecting participant health and safety in compliance with the most up-to-date recommendations and requirements will be posted no later than 2 weeks prior to the race and emailed to all registered participants. A virtual component is available for all races for those runners who aren’t comfortable racing in person yet but still want to participate in the event. * * *
- 7:00 – 8:00 AM – Packet Pick-up & Check In
- 7:45 AM – Run Fun Start
- 8:00 AM – 5K & 8K Start (after mile)
- 9:30 AM – Awards Ceremony
* Start times subject to change due to weather or safety
- Saturday June 12th at 12:00 PM to Saturday June 19th at 12:00 PM – Submit Results to Race Director
- Saturday June 19th at 2:00 PM – Final Results Posted
- Sunday June 21st at TBD – Curbside Pickup at Dorcas Plaza
- July 1st (or earlier) – Packets Get Mailed
Race Location: WakeMed Soccer Park located at 201 Soccer Park Dr., Cary, NC 27511, USA. For Virtual Runners: Anywhere you want to run! You can run wherever you are comfortable: on the greenways, in your neighborhood, even around your living room. Just stay safe, have fun, and log the distance you signed up to run.
Course Information: The course is on WakeMed's cross country course with natural trails. Course conditions depend on the weather prior to the event. For Virtual Runners: Course conditions depend on the weather and where you choose to run. There will not be an athletic trainer or any water stations provided on the course other than public restrooms and water fountains available at parks. A virtual race is BYOB!
Course Aid: An athletic trainer will be available at a medical tent located near the finish line and there will be water stations on the course and near the finish line.
Course Maps (Coming Soon!)
Events: Everyone is welcome to participate! All participants will have chip-timed results that will be posted online. All Fit & Able Productions, Inc. events are inclusion events: anyone of any age, skill-level, or ability can participate in any race!
* No dogs or bikes permitted in the race.
* We strongly discourage participants wearing headphones of any sort while racing for their own safety and so they can properly hear instructions on the course.
* Kids in strollers must be registered and be with a parent registered in either the 5K, 8K, or Mile. Kids in strollers must be numbered, properly buckled into the stroller, and we strongly encourage them to wear a helmet.
* If you or one of your party have a physical or developmental need that may require special accommodation please contact us at least one month prior to the event to discuss reasonable accommodations that may be available.
Packet Pick-up: All participants must show a photo ID or be with a guardian with a photo ID in order to pick up their race packets and can only pick up their own race packet. Early packet pickup details will be announced the week prior to the race. There is no pre-race packet pickup or race day check-in but we are offering four options for you to choose from to get your swag packet. For Virtual Runners: Since there is no pre-race or race day packet pickup all packets for purchased shirts or medals must be shipped for $10 per packet or retrieved at a curbside pickup. Packets will be mailed out after the event. Each packet can hold up to 2 shirts AND 2 medals.
Race Souvenirs: All 5K and 8K participants will receive a Charity (Social) Distance Festival medal (if registered by 12 PM June 12th – will receive a legacy Charity Distance Festival medal if signup after). Milers can purchase a medal for $5. Event shirts are available separately for $15 until May 29th.
Awards: Awards are provided by Omega Sports (North Hills). Save your Charity Distance Festival bib number to get 20% off in store at Omega Sports!
- 5K & 8K Awards:
- Top 3 Male/Female Overall
- Top Male/Female Age Group (9 & Under, 10 – 14, 15 – 19, 20 – 29, 30 – 39, 40 – 49, 50 – 59, 60 – 69, 70 & Over)
- Fun Run Awards:
- Top 3 Male/Female Overall
Online registration closes on June 18th at 9 PM. Cash, checks, and credit card are accepted at packet pick-up and race day.
* * * NO REFUNDS, TRANSFERS, or EXCHANGES. * * *
We can't wait to see you at the Charity Distance Festival!
* * * * *
The Charity Distance Festival and all its participants are subject to these event policies.
Information from this master site is often shared to or scraped by other online sources that aren't updated when changes are made here. This site on RunSignUp is the only official and updated source for information regarding this event. Everyone who registers for this event will be automatically subscribed to Fit & Able's email distribution list and may unsubscribe at any time.
Fit & Able Productions is a nonprofit organization that has been supporting community and family fitness in Cary since 1997 through organizing creative events and training programs. Proceeds from our events that aren't designated to support other organizations go to support the event and other Fit & Able nonprofit activities.